Friday, August 15, 2008

 

The whole bouquet

"A perfectly logical conclusion," said I. "Yes - your logic is faultless. Quite surprisingly so. Now, look here, clever, just hand me back that pencil of mine and be quick about it."

That made him sit up and put him into the frame of mind I required.

"You forgot it on the grass," he mumbled in a bewildered manner. "I didn't know if I'd see you again."

"Stole it and sold it!" I cried - even stamped my foot.

His reply was remarkable: first he shook his head denying the theft and then immediately nodded admitting the transaction.

There was gathered in him, I believe, the whole bouquet of human stupidity.

"Confound you," I said, "be more circumspect next time. Well, anyway, let's let bygones - Have a cigarette."

Despair
Vladimir Nabokov

(With thanks to Andy- DM)

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares