Thursday, June 10, 2010

 

Chilli prospects

So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.
Matthew 20:16

***


This year's chilli-growing is not going well.

The first promising hopefuls to graduate from seed to seedling were murdered by the wanton negligence of my mother, who didn't feel like watering them in my absence.

One of the plants did survive this torrent of cruelty so I gave it to a friend as a birthday present, enjoining her to take good care of it.

The second batch were getting by quite comfortably in the garden at Gray's Inn Rd, until one morning I found they'd been ravaged by a snail, which I found sleeping off his banquet next to the mauled plants.

Presuming the snail had never tasted chilli leaves before, it was my privilege to introduce him to another couple of new experiences:

1. Flight at 50mph
2. Death

So I'm now down to my last throw of the dice: I've put the late developing seedlings out in the garden, hoping they will survive the caprices of the weather and the machinations of snail.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares