Tuesday, January 30, 2007

 

The chicken flu the coop

The deaths of chickens at a farm in Takahashi, Okayama Prefecture, were confirmed to have been caused by a type of the highly contagious H5 bird flu virus, the agriculture ministry and the Okayama prefectural government said Monday.

(from Bird flu confirmed in Okayama Pref., The Yomiuri Shimbun)

***


Yeah, it looks like bird flu's here to stay. In Britain, we'd be culling the chickens and feeding them to the cows about now, I reckon.

Sorry to see the fickle finger of flu virus pointed unerringly at Takahashi, where I spent a very pleasant afternoon once upon a time.

I hereby declare that Takahashi is a pretty nice place to visit. Just give the yakitori a wide berth.

***


On the same sickly subject, I'm waiting for the first case of bird flu in Osaka; I'm one of the few people who wouldn't be too squeamish to take advantage if the price of chicken in the supermarkets took a sudden dive.

I still have fond memories of the countless steaks I was able to afford during my final year at Newcastle University, courtesy of BSE.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares